Iowa’s leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organization working toward full equality for LGBT individuals.
One Iowa Blog
Iowa, and the nation, lost an advocate for justice today. As a student activist I think that I first heard of Dan Johnston many years ago because of Tinker v. Des Moines. His life was one of fighting for fairness, as an attorney and in politics. In later life he took on the decriminalization of […]
One Iowa, ACLU of Iowa and League of Women Voters of Iowa Release Poll Worker Tips for Respecting Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People
One Iowa—the state’s leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocacy organization—, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Iowa and League of Women Voters of Iowa have released a tip sheet for election workers at the polls detailing best practices for interacting with transgender and gender non-conforming voters. The ACLU of Iowa is distributing the […]
Transgender Iowans: In the spotlight seeking their true selves
‘HIDING WHO YOU ARE CAN SPLIT YOUR SOUL IN HALF.’
Courtney Crowder, The Des Moines Register
Trans in Iowa: An Intimate Discussion
Thursday, October 27, 6-8 pm
504 E Locust St, Des Moines, IA 50309
You’ve read The Des Moines Register‘s Trans in Iowa Series, now meet some of the people featured live and in-person. This event will focus on the realities of what the lives of transgender Iowans are like and take a look at the issues, both local and national, that the community faces.
This event is free and open to the public. To RSVP, click here.
- Donna Red Wing, One Iowa executive director
- Bob Vander Plaats, president & CEO of The FAMiLY LEADER
- Sen. Matt McCoy, openly gay Iowa legislator
- Jack Schuler, Des Moines’ first out transgender teacher
- Jessica Brown, Kelley Kelting & Little Rainbows, a local LGBTQ youth group
- Jennifer Christiason, mother of Iowa’s first known transgender high school athlete
- Renee Thomas, a transgender architect
- Chuck Hurley, VP & chief legal counsel for The FAMiLY LEADER