Iowa’s leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organization working toward full equality for LGBT individuals.
One Iowa Blog
Earlier this year, Des Moines Register columnist Courtney Crowder began her work on what would become a ground-breaking and award winning series: Trans in Iowa. With extraordinary skill, she helped members of Iowa’s transgender community tell their stories in a stunning and unprecedented manner. Each piece of the series included interviews and videos; transgender people sharing […]
One Iowa is sad to announce the death of our dear friend Larry Hoch. Our thoughts and prayers are with his husband, David Twombley, and Larry’s many friends and family. Larry was a middle school teacher from New York. In 2000 he came to Iowa to be with David, a music teacher. Together they were […]
Transgender Iowans: In the spotlight seeking their true selves
‘HIDING WHO YOU ARE CAN SPLIT YOUR SOUL IN HALF.’
Courtney Crowder, The Des Moines Register
Trans in Iowa: An Intimate Discussion
Thursday, October 27, 6-8 pm
504 E Locust St, Des Moines, IA 50309
You’ve read The Des Moines Register‘s Trans in Iowa Series, now meet some of the people featured live and in-person. This event will focus on the realities of what the lives of transgender Iowans are like and take a look at the issues, both local and national, that the community faces.
This event is free and open to the public. To RSVP, click here.
- Donna Red Wing, One Iowa executive director
- Bob Vander Plaats, president & CEO of The FAMiLY LEADER
- Sen. Matt McCoy, openly gay Iowa legislator
- Jack Schuler, Des Moines’ first out transgender teacher
- Jessica Brown, Kelley Kelting & Little Rainbows, a local LGBTQ youth group
- Jennifer Christiason, mother of Iowa’s first known transgender high school athlete
- Renee Thomas, a transgender architect
- Chuck Hurley, VP & chief legal counsel for The FAMiLY LEADER