LGBTQ Leadership Institute Applications 2022
About the Application:
Please answer questions to the best of your abilities. On all long answer questions, answers should be between 100-250 words. If you’re having trouble completing the application, or want assistance or feedback on your answers and work, email One Iowa Program Director Max Mowitz at [email protected] for help.
* PLEASE NOTE*
- The application questions can either be written out, or an audio recording of an applicant’s answers can be sent to One Iowa Program Director Max Mowitz at [email protected]
- Applicants can reach out to Max for help and guidance. Max will not be an application grader.
- The application selection committee values substance over style; grammar and sentence structure will not be graded. We recognize that applicants are coming from different educational backgrounds and writing styles.
- The application selection committee values your future goals over your resume or past experiences; individuals without much leadership experience should still apply.
A four-month educational program to develop LGBTQ leaders
Sessions are held from mid-June to early October. Participants will need to block off the following dates and times:
*** PLEASE BE ADVISED: All Leadership Institute Sessions will be held remotely via Zoom. One Iowa staff will consider COVID risk before switching to hybrid or in-person sessions.***
Class #1 Tuesday, June 7th | 4:00- 7:00 pm
Class #2 Tuesday, June 21st | 4:00-6:00 pm
Class #3. Tuesday, July 5th | 4:00- 6:00 pm
Class #3 Tuesday, July 19th | 4:00-6:00 pm
Class #4 Tuesday, August 2nd | 4:00-6:00 pm
Class #5 Tuesday, August 16th | 4:00-6:00 pm
Class #6 Tuesday, August 30th | 4:00-6:00 pm
Class #7 Tuesday, September 13th | 4:00- 6:00 pm
Class #8 Tuesday, September 27th | 4:00-6:00 pm
Class #9 Thursday, October 13th | 10:00 am- 4:00 pm
In addition to class time, there will be pre-recorded class sessions that are required viewing before class. There will be roughly 60-90 minutes of recorded content connected with each class. The expectation is that participants do not miss more than three classes.
15-20 LGBTQ individuals who aspire to be visible leaders. The program is open to people of all ages—with a strong emphasis on transgender people, people of color, and women—who meet at least one of the following:
• Newly out
• Aspiring to move up in their career
• New to their career, position, or Iowa community
• Want to engage with and give back to the LGBTQ community as an out LGBTQ leader. An out LGBTQ leader is willing to be open about their sexual orientation/gender identity/gender expression (or out) to themselves and others.
One Iowa is committed to making the LGBTQ Leadership Institute accessible to all potential leaders. We offer sliding scale scholarships to all participants that express a need, no questions asked.