One Iowa Announces 2019 LGBTQ Leadership Institute Class on First Day of Pride Month
One Iowa, a statewide LGBTQ organization, announced its 2019 LGBTQ Leadership Institute class on Saturday, June 1, the first day of LGBTQ Pride Month. Now in its second year, the LGBTQ Leadership Institute aims to equip future LGBTQ leaders with the tools and skills to succeed not only in the LGBTQ community, but in the broader community as well.
One Iowa’s LGBTQ Leadership Institute 2019 fellows are:
- Bavarian Allison, Transformations Salon & Spa
- Isa Barrett (they/them/theirs), Friends of John K. Delaney
- Emily Bartekoske (she/her/hers), SouthLaw, P.C.
- Emily Cohen (she/her/hers), Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission
- Rose Cooney (she/her/hers), Domestic Violence Intervention Program
- Seth Johnson (he/him/his), Nishna Productions, Inc.
- Tony Khuth (he/him/his), Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Kai Kiser (they/them/theirs), United Action for Youth
- Safiya Lee-Evans (she/her/hers), Iowa Innovation
- Eric Lengsouthiphong (he/him/his), Bankers Trust
- Maxwell Love (she/her/hers), ACLU Rights for All volunteer leader
- Elizabeth Medina (she/her/hers), GEAR UP Iowa
- Cheltzie Miller-Bailey (she/her/hers)
- Chase Norris (he/him/his), Clock, Inc.
- Nolan Peterson (he/him/his), Englert Theater
- Larissa Pray (she/her/hers), Mercy College of Health Sciences
- Kelly Quinn (she/her/hers), Sac & Fox Tribe Meskwaki Nation
- Kasi Rupert (she/her/hers), Coe College Writing Center
- Olivia Samples (she/her/hers and they/them/theirs), Iowa Coalition for Collective Change
- Amanda Shetler (she/her/hers), By Degrees Foundation
- Ariana Smith (she/her/hers), University of Iowa
- Hunter Smith (he/him/his), Iowa Lutheran Hospital | UnityPoint Health – St. Luke’s Hospital
- Thalia Sutton (she/her/hers and ve/ver/vis), Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC)
- Caitlin Szalay (she/her/hers and they/them/theirs), Full Circle Therapy
- Destinee Woodris (she/her/hers), Arizona State University
One Iowa’s LGBTQ Leadership Institute advisory council chose this class from a strong pool of applicants. Through regular classes in the Des Moines area from June-October, these individuals will learn about Iowa LGBTQ history, how to be an authentic leader, resilient leadership strategies, and receive individualized planning guidance. More information about the LGBTQ Leadership Institute can be found here.
“Congratulations to our 2019 LGBTQ Leadership Institute class,” One Iowa Executive Director Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel said. “Each of these extraordinary individuals will be a strong face and voice for Iowa’s LGBTQ community. I’m excited to work with them to develop their leadership skills. As we enter Pride Month, I look forward to seeing what they bring not just to the LGBTQ Leadership Institute, but to our community’s future.”