One Iowa to Hold LGBTQ Day on the Hill
One Iowa, the state’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organization, will hold an LGBTQ Day on the Hill on Thursday, Jan. 12. The organization projects over one hundred LGBTQ Iowans and their allies will gather to speak with legislators about the importance of full equality for their community.
“I am honored to be leading One Iowa in my new role as executive director. As a lifelong Iowan who grew up on a farm, I am proud of Iowa’s legacy of equality and hope we can help in putting a face and voice to the LGBTQ community for our elected officials to see,” One Iowa Executive Director Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel said.
A press conference and rally featuring state legislators and local activists will begin at 1:30 p.m. on the southwest side of the Iowa State Capitol rotunda. Speakers include:
- Liz Bennett, first out LGBTQ woman to serve in the Iowa legislature
- Sophia Stone, president of Transformations Iowa
- Ruth Ann Gaines, educator and civil rights advocate
- Cecilia Martinez, student activist from Simpson College
- Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel, One Iowa executive director
A press box will be available. The full schedule of LGBTQ Day on the Hill may be found here.