One Iowa works toward full equality for LGBT individuals in the state
While we have achieved marriage equality in Iowa, the fight for full LGBT equality is far from over. In addition to defending marriage, One Iowa also works on a number of initiatives including:
- protecting fair courts and an independent judiciary through the Iowa Fair Courts Coalition
- working on issues related to AIDS and HIV in Iowa
- ensuring that communities are safe for LGBTQ youth through our Iowa Pride Network Gay Straight Alliance program
- working to open a dialogue between the LGBT community and law enforcement officials through our Transforming Corrections Culture program
- addressing concerns about Iowa’s aging and elder LGBT populations through our Gay & Gray in the Midwest program
- putting the health and wellness of LGBT Iowans and our families first
- defending marriage equality in Iowa through grassroots efforts and education
- improving access to resources for transgender Iowans
- reaching out to communities of faith
- engaging in a civil dialogue around LGBT equality, even with those who might oppose us
- and more!
Polls show that acceptance of LGBT people is growing. We need to continue to have important conversations with our friends, family, neighbors and colleagues about why equality is important to us.